I found the readings to be very interesting. It may be
because the emphasis they are putting on faith and religion. Considering that I
am a catholic I feel as if I can better understand these readings opposed to
some of the previous readings that didn’t emphasize Christianity and faith very
much.
Unamuno talks about the dogma and how it is regarded as
undeniably true. What he means in his remarks about dogma and the incontrovertible
remarks made by the church are not necessarily true. However, people feel
pressured into believing these remarks and base the morals off of them. Unamuno
believes that since there is not much truth involved in this practice that the
faith can easily be ruined.
I think what he means is that what we know and don’t know
can effect what we believe in. If we know that something is fact but our faith
tells us different we refute the faith and seek out something else to put our
faith into so that we can base our morals of something. On the other hand if
our faith tells us something that is true but we know it is not then we might
feel betrayed by our faith which would also cause us to seek out something else
to believe in and base morals off of that. When we feel betrayed by our faith
we not only seek out a new belief system but our morals may also change because
we can no longer trust them because of the way we created them. To sum up what I
am trying to say is that if our faith falls apart so do our morals, because our
morals are based off of our faith. If we choose a different belief then we are
also choosing a different set of morals.
I am lead to question whether Unamuno thinks that we are
capable of making good actions even if we deny our religious faith and the
morals that go with it. I believe that he thinks we can. He says that though an
individual may refute his religious faith he still has his faith towards mankind.
Just because someone may not be religious does not mean that they aren’t capable
of having good intentions.
There are plenty of religious people that do horrible things
as well as there are non-religious people who amount to great things. I agree
that I think it is mans faith in humanity and not just his religious faith that
allows him to do good things. After all it there are cases when people to
incredibly horrible things because of the poor morals they took from their
religion. That being said I think that individuals who have a strong religious
faith tend to have great morals and go onto do great things. The lessons taught
in the bible teach us to treat everyone and everything with love and respect.
Even if someone were to refute their faith in religion based on some of its
false truths, they would still hold onto the lessons of love and respect and implement
them into their morals and faith in humanity.
Unamuno and I agree that people who have faith regardless of
the conflicting ideas will earn an afterlife. I strongly believe that is our
faith that causes us to act morally and kind towards others. There are times
when I doubt my faith and leans towards the ideas of reason and science, but
then I compare the lessons I have learned from the two. Science and reason haven’t
taught me how to act but only to respond. I think that faith teaches me how to
act and prepare for my actions. Constantly wrestling with the two sides is just
human nature. I think that having something to believe in is a vital element of
human life, because if we don’t then what’s the point? I conclude by
reiterating my comment about those who have faith deserve an afterlife; because
why should someone who refused in believing an afterlife all their lives be
accepted into that afterlife when the time comes. They will only continue to
practice their beliefs in science, reason, and rationality because they now
know what faith entails and therefore continue to disapprove of it.
I don't want to step on your toes but I think morality can come from other places, not just religion. I was brought up in a surprisingly agnostic branch of my family tree and have only been to church a maximum of 20 times in my life, most of those visits being funeral or wedding related. I have been determining my own morals as I go and some of them definitely correlate with what the bible says but I did not choose them because they were in the bible, I chose them because I agreed with them. Thats the thing about religions is that people just blindly follow what everyone else is doing because they are afraid to go against the holy texts. I have no problem entertaining the idea that there may be a god simply because nobody knows. God is just as plausible as the big bang or any other kooky idea because no one has a time machine or a way to bring the dead back to life. Every one is grasping desperately at the same straws but heres the twist, there are no straws. People are too preoccupied with what happens after they die that they forget to live and care about the only life they truly know exists. I have a question for you. I have been searching for the answer for a while now but I cant seem to find it so hopefully you can shed some light on the subject. What is is about faith that inherently makes a believer better than a non believer? You mentioned that individuals who have strong religious faith tend to have great morals but who is to say those morals are the correct ones? People from different religions can still believe in the same god but have completely different morals and ways of acting so what is the point of religion? This isn't a question of the existence of a god, its a question about why people choose to follow strict religions when you are supposed to find your own way to god. I cant tell you if there is a god or not because you need to find out for yourself. I'm sorry if this went a little long or makes no sense but after reading the things we've read, I think were all used to that by now.
ReplyDelete