Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Final Post


Well the semester is finally over and I feel like I have only hit the tip of the ice berg. So much has been discussed in this class that I don’t even know where to begin with this blog post, but I have to start somewhere so why not start with the basics. This is what I got out of the class in regards to what existentialism is. Existentialism is how we live life, it is the way we value the decisions in our lives. It is a way of evaluating what is important, what isn’t, what others think is important, how what others think is important affects us. I also realized that the philosophers that we studied didn’t have any regard for writing format so why should I, hence the horrible run-on sentence prior to this sentence.
A question was asked in class on Monday which I thought was pretty interesting considering the students in the class. The question was how this class has affected us, if we feel empowered, depressed, or indifferent. A majority of the students raised their hands saying they felt depressed which I thought was surprising. I was surprised because I didn’t think people in our class unparticular would care what other people so much, especially the guy who dances at the football games to Gangnam Style. I felt indifferent because I didn’t let the opinions of a small group of guys to affect my opinion on life. I can see why some people felt empowered because when someone tells you a certain way of life is good and that is how you are living then you will feel empowered. But personally if someone told me that what I what I was doing is wrong and causes me to be depressed over it I wouldn’t listen to that person because they just make me feel bad. But on the other side people let this make them feel depressed when they don’t have to live their life like that, this is just was a bunch of old dead guys said.  Anyways I’m sorry I’ve been rambling so much but my minds a little scrambled with finals and everything.
All in all it has been a pretty good class I learned a lot from it I now have a slightly different understanding of life after taking it. Like I said before I didn’t let this class get to me too much but I did find the readings interesting. However, Heidegger was a pain in the ass to read.  I don’t think I that I am alone in saying that I learned a lot from this class and I am positive others have learned even more than me. So I think the way the class was structured was pretty effective. I think it was the best way to teach the class. I think a lot more people would be depressed if we had a teacher trying to sway us in thinking a certain way. I didn’t take the class because I have had Thad before or because I was already interested in the subject I took it because I thought it would be interesting because I had theology teachers in the past who mentioned the class and said it was interesting. I remembered my past teachers telling me to not read too much into the text because it would only make me depressed, so I don’t think I was being defiant by not obsessing over this subject only I took what I have learned from other classes and applied it to this one.
With this sentence it is nice to be finally done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment