For
starters I would like to point out that I am not the biggest fan of Kierkegaard
and am more of a fan of Camus. Probably because I feel that Camus tells more of
a story which makes it much easier to follow. There were times while reading
Kierkegaard that I got lost in his writings. I think that since Camus tells a
story it is much easier to relate to and therefore easier to understand.
Jean
Baptiste makes it quite clear that he does not care too much for judges. But through
my reading of The Fall I grew to understand why he feels this way. Throughout
the story Jean is challenging us to admit our guilt and he is frustrated by
those who do not. His attitude towards those who cannot admit what they have
done wrong helped me realize why he does not like judges. Judges only judge
other but never themselves, so who are they to call somebody guilty. I don’t think
a person is guilty until they realize what they have done and feel sorry for
it. I mean guilty in the emotion sense and not the legal sense. Jean is able to
be a lawyer because he is not passing judgment on others; but instead he is helping
other admit their guilt, just like he did to us in The Fall.
The way
Jean gets frustrated when people don’t admit what they have done wrong does
seem a bit extreme, but I think we all do it. Most of us have been wronged by somebody
once or twice in our lives, and if you are the exception then keep doing what you’re
doing. But what I mean is, have you ever been wronged by someone and that
person got away with it, leaving you hopeless? Your emotions have been messed
with yet your offender is indifferent to what it is they have done to you. Personally
I think it is frustrating when this happens and a person should apologize for
having done it. It is in cases like this that I get frustrated when people do
not admit their guilt.
I would
now like to talk about Kierkegaard writing titled The Rotation Method starting
on page 8. Kierkegaard goes into detail about boredom and what it causes us to
do. I agree that boredom causes us to advance because personally when I am
bored I try to do something with my time. Then when I grow bored of the things
I love I move on to something else to fill that void. What was troubling for me
to understand was that he made a comment saying that gods could have created
worlds just because they were bored. This is troubling to me because I do
practice Christianity and I believe in one God, but I never thought about what
if God grew bored of us. In other words what if our world is like the
equivalent to the middle child of other worlds. What if what we do is seen as
insignificant because there is another world that does it better. In reference
to what I said before that when I get bored of something I love I move on to a
new vice, well what if that is the same case for God. What if God got bored
with our world and moved on to another leaving us to fall apart?
Later
Kierkegaard makes a comment about faith, “Faith is the objective uncertainty along
with the repulsion of the absurd seized in the passion of inwardness
potentiated to the highest degree.” (Page 27) As a Catholic I feel that a world without God
and heaven would be absurd. I have no other evidence telling me that this is
true except for my faith. I believe that it is faith that allows us to
disregard the absurd.
Jean Baptiste is quite an interesting man, isn't he? He claims to be a judge-penitent, with the word penitent defined as "A person who repents their sins or wrongdoings and seeks forgiveness" but I feel he falls short of this word. Despite this, he classifies himself as such. Through his actions and self-definition he is a hypocrite who only admits his own guilt to have others admit theirs. In my own opinion, he is not truly penitent but simply uses the illusion of penitence as a means to obtain the confessions of others. While he may claim to despise judges, he sets himself up as one.
ReplyDeleteI don't mean to say that I don't agree with what Jean has to say about human nature. He is completely correct about the way we human judge each other constantly. Additionally, he is right about the way we each consider ourselves an exception to our own guilt. His insights are piercing and incredibly accurate but his own contradictory nature makes me wonder if he can be trusted. After all, we know that Jean wants us (the reader) to admit our own guilt as a means of exalting himself. Is it in our best interest to do so? I don't know!
I think what you wrote about God getting bored with us is a really interesting thing to think about. Kierkegaard’s idea that gods could have created this world out of boredom is really something to consider. I know that boredom can be one of the biggest motivators in the world. A lot of people end up watching tv or occupying themselves with other unfulfilling activities to eliminate their boredom, but many do great things to fill that void. Creating earth very well could be one of those great things. It is true, however, that at a certain point, most things do become boring. The Gods could get bored with earth and then maybe even create another one to entertain themselves further. This can be a scary thought for those who firmly believe in god. What if god experiences the same emotions as us and has the same flaws? What if she doesn’t necessarily care about earth as much as we think she does? What if she gave up on us a long time ago and moved on and we are all just slowly dying? It is an interesting perspective and I think one that can lead to very negative thoughts if you let it. Sometimes it’s hard to oppose these renowned philosophers, but at the end of the day they are just doing the same thing we all do: coming up with answers to difficult questions and you really can’t take anything they say as fact or you will eliminate intelligent thought in your own world.
ReplyDelete