I
felt that class this week was a little bit harder to follow than the previous week’s
class. I felt that the points brought up were a little bit difficult to follow,
especially when discussing The Fall. The Fall was interesting to me because
how the story line progressed. I felt that in the beginning it was a little bit
slow and I kept questioning when is something going to happen. As the story
progressed I started to pick up on what was going on in the main characters
life that drove him to have such opinions. I believe that the reason behind his
fall is his self conscience. It seemed as though everything he did he reflected
on it to the point where his good deeds appeared to be bad. His thoughts made
him appear as a fake individual. Fake in the sense that he is not acting like
himself but instead the way he wants people to see him.
For instance when he
tipped his hat to the blind man, this gesture was geared towards the onlookers
in an attempt to win their favor. I understand the mental thought of why he is
cautious of what complete strangers think of him because I do it every day, and
I bet most people do as well. We are constantly concerned about what others
think about us. For example, we base what we decide to wear on any given day to
appeal to the satisfaction of others. What I mean is that most of us choose to
wear clothing that shouldn’t give onlookers a bad perception of us. We do not
want to be stared at in a negative way but instead positively, or not at all. Now
what I meant before when I said his good deeds appeared bad is that he over
thought what others might have thought about him over a simple action.
His
self conscience leads him to degrade his own being to the point where he
thought about suicide. Why is it that one’s conscience can create such a heavy
burden on oneself to the point of such actions? I think it was the repetitive self
loathing that made him feel like a lesser man. He then speaks about the way in
which he would treat woman. He would make them promise to be true to him
without returning the same affections in return. He would pretty much use woman
to sustain his own needs with little regard to the woman. Forgive me if my
thoughts are not clear in my writing, but this is what I believe would cause
such a man to fall.
I
would now like to touch on the subject of the absurd. It was brought up in
class that it was absurd to want to end your life quickly; it is this statement
that I whole heartedly agree with. Our lives are full of meaning to say that we
have no purpose in this life but to die is absurd. I look at it in a way that
our lives have check points. As we progress from generation to generation we
accomplish something. This is something that I feel is full of meaning, just
think of all we had to do in order to reach our twenties we have come a long
way from when we could only crawl. What meaning is there in suicide? We end our
lives so that we can no longer walk this earth. At the point of death our past
lives lose their meanings as the generations grow older until no one remembers
who we were or what purpose we would serve in the present.
Hey Brendan,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with almost everything you said. Therefore, I will just continue the conversation. I have to ask you do you think Jean is a bad person for his actions? Does it make him a bad person that he is doing good deeds to please himself? In my opinion, I do not think it is bad at all. It seemed like everyone in class had this real negative view of him. Well, I would like to take a different perspective. I do not see anything wrong with what he is doing. It is a win, win situation for both parties. He does something nice and he feels better because of it. The other person also benefits from his kind deeds. So, I am seeing what the problem is.
I guess the other side of the argument is that Jean had the wrong intent in doing these deeds. If he was just a generous person without thinking about how others viewed him, it would be a whole different story. This is probably where Jean went a stray. It seemed that he was doing these things to be seen as a kind person.
Furthermore, I think Jean would benefit from finding a middle ground. We can not always be a super nice human being 100% of the time. I think if he only helped out when he saw fit, his conscience would not weight so heavily on him.